top of page

Flood Damage

Our Flood Damage Attorneys Can Help You Deal With Your Property Insurance Claim

flood damage.png

Get Help With Flood Damage Claims In Florida

A standard Florida homeowners insurance policy typically DOES NOT include coverage for flood damage. Depending on the location of your Florida home and whether you hold a mortgage, your mortgager may require a flood insurance policy in addition to your regular home insurance policy. If you own your home outright, you have the option to add additional flood insurance to your Florida homeowners insurance policy.

How can I tell if my Florida homeowners insurance policy covers flood damage?


The best way to tell if your current Florida homeowners insurance policy covers flood damage is to review your policy documents. If your policy documents are hard to understand, you can contact your insurance agent or company to ask them directly. Be sure to ask specific questions about flooding coverage. For example, some policies cover flooding from internal accidental issues, such as a pipe bursting, but directly or indirectly exclude flooding from sources outside the home, such as a hurricane.


Choosing The Right Flood Insurance Policy In Florida

Choosing the right coverage on your Florida homeowners insurance policy is one of the most important decisions you will make as a homeowner. Determining the coverage that your unique property needs can be overwhelming if you aren't well versed in the technical language associated with insurance policies. No need to worry, we will break it down in an easy to understand format for you. Our goal is to empower you to understand the insurance industries lingo so that you can ask detailed questions and make informed decisions.

Covered storm damage perils in Florida typically include: fire or lightning, windstorm or hail, smoke, and explosions. Flood damage is almost never included in your basic Florida homeowners policy. In Florida, flood insurance is considered additional coverage. Depending on where you live, flood insurance may or may not be required by your mortgage company. Homes and businesses with government-backed mortgages in high risk flood zones require flood insurance policies. If you own you home outright, your insurance agent may still recommend additional flood insurance coverage.


Understanding Florida Flood Zones

One easy way to determine whether your home requires flood insurance is to find out if your home is in a flood zone. Depending on which zone your property falls under, you will need to understand more about the risks of possible flooding in your area. According to FEMA one in three insurance claims come from moderate to low risk flood zones.


Flood Zone designations include:

  • Zones A or V - high-risk

  • Zones B, C, or X - moderate- to low-risk

If your home resides in zones A or V, the likelihood is high that your dwelling will be affected by flooding at some point. Your insurance company should discuss this with you. Your mortgage company will most likely require you carry additional flood insurance. Outside of that, the choice is yours, but the statistics show that moderate to low risk doesn't mean no risk! The goal of homeowners insurance is to mitigate the chance that you have no monetary protection in the event your home is damaged by catastrophic events. Working with your insurance agent to secure the best insurance policy against ALL types of property damage is advised.

Has Your Flood Claim Been Denied?

If you have suffered from flood damage on your Florida property and your property damage insurance claim was denied because you didn't carry flood insurance, you may be out of luck. However, if you have flood coverage on your property damage insurance claim and it was still denied, allowing an attorney to review your claim is something to consider. Knowing your rights as a homeowner when moving through the property damage insurance claim process is paramount.

Landscape Images for max.png
When Should I Hire A Flood Damage Attorney?

If you've been a homeowner in Florida for any length of time, chances are you already have, or will need to file a homeowners insurance claim at some point. One important question when it comes to filing a homeowners insurance claim is "When do I hire a lawyer for an insurance claim?"

If your home has been damaged and you need to file a homeowners insurance claim in Florida, we suggest contacting an insurance claim attorney, before you ever contact your homeowners insurance provider. A seasoned insurance claim attorney can help you through the homeowners insurance claims process and ensure you provide the right information to your insurance provider. Not providing enough, or providing too much information, can sometimes hurt your insurance claim. A knowledgeable Florida Property Damage Or Unsurance claim attorney understands the insurance industry's jargon, and their bottom line. Hiring an insurance claim attorney to file your homeowner insurance claim ensures your claim is submitted with your best interest and outcome in mind.

For more helpful information on flood insurance please visit FEMA's National Flood Insurance Program website.

Hire A Flood Damage Attorney And Get Help With Your Claim

If you need specific legal advice on whether to purchase flood insurance for your Florida home, contact Florida Property Damage Attorneys. Florida residents deserve proper advice when protecting one of their biggest investments and a Florida insurance claim attorney at Florida Property Damage Attorneys will be happy to discuss your situation with you.


Our home office is in Tallahassee, Florida, but we serve homeowner insurance claim cases all over the state of Florida. Give us a call today at 850-788-7272 to schedule a consultation to discuss your homes unique situation.

bottom of page